graphic masthead of boy and City School District of Alabny logo graphic link to Board of Education pages graphic link to school directory pages
box bullet

HOME

box bullet About Us
box bullet

Academics

box bullet

After-School and Extended-Day Care

box bullet

Albany A-Z

box bullet

Albany Booster Club and School PTAs

box bullet

Albany Fund for Education

box bullet

Alumni

box bullet

Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR)

box bullet Art
box bullet Assurance of Discontinuance
box bullet

Athletics

box bullet Bids/RFPs
box bullet Buildings and Grounds
box bullet

Calendar

box bullet

Dignity for All Students Act

box bullet

Early Childhood

box bullet

Employment

box bullet ENL and Refugee Services
box bullet

Feedback

box bullet Grade Configuration/Middle School Enrollment
box bullet

Grants and Program Development

box bullet

Hall of Fame

box bullet Human Resources
box bullet

Library

box bullet

Music

box bullet

News

box bullet

Parent University

box bullet

Professional Development

box bullet

Programs and Services

box bullet Pupil Personnel Services
box bullet Receivership
box bullet

Search Our Site

box bullet

Strategic Planning: 2020 Vision

box bullet

Student Registration

box bullet Summer School

box bullet

Volunteering

 
Albany's public high schools

A brief history of our high schools
If you graduated from an Albany public school in the last century, you are an alumnus or alumna of one of three schools: Albany High School, Harriet Gibbons High School or Philip Schuyler High School.

Albany High School
The first Albany High School began in 1868 as the Albany Free Academy, housed in Van Vechten Hall at 119 State Street. In 1873 its name changed to Albany High School and in 1876 it was relocated to the corner of Eagle and Columbia streets. That building was torn down in 1912 and the Albany County Courthouse stands on the spot today.

The third Albany High School building opened in 1913 on Lake Street between Washington and Western avenues. It served as a high school until 1974.

The Albany High School of today opened in 1974 after the merging of Philip Schuyler High School and the Albany HIgh School building on Lake Avenue. Located at 700 Washington Avenue, the school serves approximately 2,400 students in grades 9-12. The school is divided into four themed academies and includes its own career and technical education center

In 2012, the City School District of Albany put together a committee of community and district representatives to study the pros and cons of renovating the current high school building versus building a new facility. The committee, the ad hoc High School Facilities Committee, will report its findings to the board in the spring.

Harriet Gibbons High School
Harriet Gibbons HIgh School began in 1970 as the independent Street Academy, serving students in grades 9-12. The school became part of the City School District of Albany in 1973 and was housed at 165 Clinton Avenue until 1991.

Street Academy was renamed in 1992 after the death of Harriet Gibbons, the school's second principal (1974-77) and the first African-American woman elected to the school board. The school went on to be located at 27 Western Avenue and 400 Sheridan Avenue before settling in its new location at 75 Watervliet Avenue in 2003.

In 2005, Harriet Gibbons High School was restructured to a ninth-grade academy to provide added supports for small groups of freshmen with high academic needs and students who preferred a smaller learning environment. The school closed in 2010.

Philip Schuyler High School
Philip Schuyler High School, located on Trinity Place, was built in 1915 and began as Public School 14. It was renamed in 1934 after Philip Schulyer, an Albany native, a general in the American Revolution and a United States Senator.

The school closed when it merged with Albany High School in 1974. The building has been converted to apartments.
 
graphic header for quick links

 

           
Link to Board of Ed page Link to Directory page Link to Our Schools page